Laguan is an erect, tough, unarmed shrub about 0.5 to 1.5 meters high. Leaves are alternate, smooth, long-petioled, and odd-pinnate, with 3 to 5 leaflets which are oblong, 10 to 15 centimeters in length, often rounded at the base and pointed at the tip. Flowers are borne in considerable numbers in simple, peduncled, axillary racemes. Corolla is white, about 1.25 centimeters long or twice the length of the calyx. Pods are oblong, 1 to 2 centimeters long, and very turgid, purplish black when mature, and contain a single, large seed.
- Of local occurrence on the higher mountains from northern Luzon to Mindanao.
- Also occurs in India to the Riu Kiu Islands from Taiwan southward to Java.
- Seeds contain cytisine.
- Study isolated two new prenylflavanones, euchrenones a7 and a8 from the roots and stems.
- Study yielded 40 chemical compounds. The highest, kaur-16-ene, was found in the root (51.29%) and stem (36.13%). Palmitic acid was 16.7% in roots, 34.79% in stems, 23.55% in leaves, 13.79% in skin of seed,
and 36.13% in seeds. Vitamin C was highest in the seed skin. (3)
- Roots yielded three new flavonoids, viz., 5,2',4'-trihydroxy-6-(3,3-dimethylallyl-6''',6'''-dimethylpyrano[2''',3''':7,8)] flavanone(euchrenone a9),5,4'-dihydroxy-6(3,3-dimethylallyl)-5'''-hydroxyisoproyldihydrofurano [2",3":7,8]isoflavone(euchrenone b10) and 2-methoxymaackiain, together with known compounds kushenol E, 6,8-di(3,3-dimethylallyl)genistein, osajin, warangalone, derrone 4'-O-methyl ether, alpinumisoflavone 4'-methyl ether and feruloyl hexadecayl ester. (4)
- Seeds are bitter and poisonous.
- Considered hypolipidemic.
- In the Philippines, roots are chewed as a cure for snake bites.
- Seeds are used for diseases of the chest.
- Although considered poisonous,
used as a tonic and aphrodisiac.
• Hypolipidemic / PPAR Activation: Study of EH fruit extracts showed significant PPARa activation, increased PPARa target gene expression and regulated protein expression for lipid metabolism. Results indicate that E. horsfieldii shows potential as a natural lipid-lowering agent. (1)