A tufted grass-like perennial herb growing to a height of 60 cm. Leaves are narrow-linear, blunt at the tip, up to 2 cm wide, recurved, glossy, solid green. The variegated form may be pale green with white longitudinal stripes. Flowering racemes are long, pendulous. Flowers are small and white.
Native to South Africa.
Recently introduced to the Philippines.
Suited for use as groundcover.
Propagated by division of rhizomes and from plantlets.
Properties and constituents
• Study isolated three new spirostanol pentaglycosides and four known saponins.
• No reported folkloric use in the Philippines.
• In Chinese traditional medicine, used for treating bronchitis, fractures and burns.
• Steroidal Saponins / Antitumor-Promoter Activity:
Study isolated three new spirostanol pentaglycosides and four known saponins. The saponins were examined for inhibitory activity on tumor promoter-induced phospholipid metabolism of HeLa cells.
The antiproliferative effects of a n-butanol extract from C comosum was tested in vitro against four human cell lines. Results showed the extract to have antiproliferative effects and apoptosis in human cell lines.
• Indoor Air Purifier: According to a NASA study, spider plants absorb 96 percent of carbon monoxide in a controlled environment within a 24-hour period, making it one of the most effective air purifier in its research.